Sunday, October 01, 2006

Driving (and surviving) in Italy



On the Amalfi Coast in Italy we hired an Alfa Romeo 154 sports car as the motorhome wouldn’t fit on the roads. Honestly???…I hired it to enjoy driving around the great Amalfi Coast roads. What a great car. The car is a turbo diesel – I was thinking conservative performance. Well no actually. It had great acceleration …very quick on the skinny little roads. At first the Italian driving style was crazy, then I adapted by just driving slightly crazy like them and it was no problem. How the Italians do it is as follows – if there is a space, push in quick but be prepared to stop just in case, never ever indicate, never wait for pedestrians at pedestrian crossings, look cool and don’t let anything worry you. In Italy green traffic lights mean go fast, yellow means go and red means go if no one is coming. I didn’t see one angry motorist…the whole thing flows and the police seem to have no problem. I will need complete driver retraining before they let me back on Australian roads.

No comments: